Airfix 1/72 scale P-51D
November 5, 2012
Airfix's all-new P-51D Mustang plastic-model kit includes optional parts for raised or lowered flaps and extended or retracted gear. Posable items include the rudder, canopy, and radiator belly-scoop-outlet door.
Airfix omitted a few details in the kit’s beautiful scribing — the elevator mass balances and the dzus fasteners along the length of the upper cowling weren’t present — but otherwise the detail on all the parts was executed with finesse. To attain such detail, the sprue gates are a little thick; I recommend detaching all the parts with a razor saw. The interior is sufficient without being superdetailed, using a decal for the instrument panel. I added masking-tape seat belts for the kit-supplied pilot figure when he mans his aircraft.
You are currently not logged in. This article is only available to FineScale Modeler magazine subscribers.
If you are already a subscriber to FineScale Modeler magazine you must log into your account to view this article. If you do not have an
account you will need to register for one. Registration is FREE and only takes a couple minutes.
SUBSCRIBE TODAY and get 10 issues of FineScale Modeler magazine PLUS these great online benefits:
- Search more than 1,200 model kit reviews
- Receive early access to the latest model kit reviews
- Search more than 12,700 product listings in our Modeling Products Directory (updated weekly)
- View our database of helpful modeling tips
- View bonus model kit photos not published in the magazine
- Access how-to stories and online exclusives
- Post comments in the forum
- Watch videos
- Receive our e-mail newsletter
- Manage your account online